Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

How would you deal with this kid?

Hidden behind that big, pimply, hormonal adolescent is our little baby. Discuss anything about adolescence and raising teenagers here. Or if you are a teenager, talk about being one and dealing with those darn parents.

How would you deal with this kid?

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:28 pm

My step nephew is thirteen years old. He has always been the way that he is now.
He lies more than he tells the truth and he steals(from home, family, friends, school, etc.). He also started smoking cigarettes several months ago, stealing my cigarettes and his step-dad's/my brother's cigarettes to support his habit.
Now this kid is extremely smart. He has gotten straight A's his entire school career and all he does during his spare time is read books.
Because of that he got sent to the best school in our state(literally).
A year after he started at the new school we get notified that he was being suspended for a day for smoking a cigarette in the school bathroom.
The next day(the day he was suspended) we get notified that he is getting expelled for a year because of the smoking, stealing and the fact that he wasn't turning any of his homework in for months.
His parents didn't want to deal with him so they sent him on a plane to his aunt's house and let them deal with him for an entire summer.
He recently came home and he's worse.

How would you deal with him? How would you have dealt with him in the early stages?

Re: How would you deal with this kid?

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 5:04 am

Someone needs to put their foot down. He can't keep getting away with this type of behavior, or he might get in trouble with the law or worse. My parents always told me that it was better for them to whip me than for someone outside or the government to do it, so that may be necessary (if it's not too late).

Aside from punishment, he may need more positive stimulus. You said that he is intelligent, so he might be bored with the curriculum of his school. Maybe he should be enrolled in some after-school program, or have a mentor that can teach him a trade while keeping him out of trouble.

Re: How would you deal with this kid?

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:30 pm

He should have been dealt with at a sooner age. It should have been nipped a long time ago. Now he will not listen to anyone. I would sent him away to a camp and let him learn some tough love.

Return to Teenagers (13-19)