Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Depression.

Hidden behind that big, pimply, hormonal adolescent is our little baby. Discuss anything about adolescence and raising teenagers here. Or if you are a teenager, talk about being one and dealing with those darn parents.

Depression.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:00 am

How do you deal with your depressed teenager?

I have a thirteen year old step nephew who came up to me before and told me he was depressed and that he has thought about suicide. I'm not really an emotional person so I don't know how to deal with this kind of thing. How do you deal with it?

Re: Depression.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 5:09 am

Perseverance. I was depressed a lot in high school since I wasn't one of the popular kids; I still deal with bouts of depression from time to time. I deal with it by working, going to the gym, indulging myself in gaming (although I do that less now), or just toughening up and dealing with it. It's easier said than done, and tough to dig a teen (especially a hard-headed one like I was) out of their rut. I'd suggest physical activity since it can get their minds off of what's bothering them, and exercising causes chemicals to flow through the bloodstream that can raise a sense of euphoria.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Get him to the doctor. If he is depressed and thought about suicide he needs professional help.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 7:24 am

I am facing the same problem. My niece is 15 years old and I think she is in the depression. Her performance in the study is decreasing day by day.
I tried to talk with her but she is not taking my suggestions seriously.

Return to Teenagers (13-19)