Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Age to make kids search for a job?

Hidden behind that big, pimply, hormonal adolescent is our little baby. Discuss anything about adolescence and raising teenagers here. Or if you are a teenager, talk about being one and dealing with those darn parents.

Age to make kids search for a job?

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 2:44 pm

When is the right age to make kids hunt for a job? I think that knowing how to work is a good thing, but I would want my kids to focus on education as well. I'd urge my kids to seek part-time employment in college, or full-time employment at 18 if they are not going to college. Before that, I wouldn't force them to work, but I'd tell them if they want to buy lots of things that they will have to earn at least some of the money themselves.

Re: Age to make kids search for a job?

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:27 pm

When they are 16 is a good age as long as it does not effect school work. Or even weekend jobs such as grass cutting or babysitting is fine sooner if they wish.

Return to Teenagers (13-19)