Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Brother takes advantage of parents.

Being a parent in a family means juggling a lot of things, some of those things are working and staying afloat financially. Whether you are a work at home mom looking for new ways to make money online or need tips for trimming the family-budget, use this forum to talk to other Moms and Dads about anything to do with money, employment, business, credit and so forth.

Brother takes advantage of parents.

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:59 pm

So my parents have a nice piece of property. They have two fill-sized homes on their land, one for them and one for my brother and his family. The rent for the house that my brother is staying in is usually $1200 a month but my parents let him and his family of eight stay there for $900 a month. Also, he doesn't pay for trash or water.
With that being said, my brother is always late on rent, making my parents suffer since the rest of the mortgage needs to come out of their pockets.
My brother works for the federal government so he has money. You probably think he's spending the money on his family of eight, right? Wrong. His family is supported by the government. Him and his wife has cheated the government out of thousands of dollars. Free food, free child care, etc.
So why doesn't he pay the rent on time? He's an alcoholic. He knows my parents won't bother him about the rent so instead of paying what he owes to my parents each month he just drinks himself to sleep every night...LITERALLY.

Re: Brother takes advantage of parents.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:31 am

Ouch. I am sorry to hear that, it is a real shame.

If I were in your parents' shoes, I'm sorry, but I would probably take him to court. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:45 am

My mom would never do that because of the kids. If my brother didn't have those kids(two in particular), he would have gotten kicked out a long time ago.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Children do make the situation much more difficult. Your parents will have to handle their own expenses though, and the burden of taking care of another family may be too expensive for them. The line has to be drawn eventually. I wish them the best of luck.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:49 pm

That is a tough situation. Parents are often willing to help their children out no matter what but it is not right that your brother is taking advantage of your parents.

Postby timajdad » September 16th, 2012, 8:52 pm

sounds to me like your brother needs a full can of foot in a**, if he is a drunk he cannot a very good role model for his kids and he is putting your parents under a great deal of stress, even if they don't admit it.

Return to The Office - Work and Finances