Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

The Spanking Controversy

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

The Spanking Controversy

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:11 pm

When do you think it is okay for parents to spank their children? Do you spank your children or have you ever spanked your children?

I personally am against it 100%.

Re: The Spanking Controversy

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I think that some spanking is necessary in situations where talking, raising your voice, time outs, and other punishments are ineffective. I do not believe in brutally beating a child or striking a child out of anger, but a spanking may prove necessary to keep some children in line. I'd rather give my child a spanking than let the world spank them!

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:30 pm

There is a difference between spanking and abusing your child. I was spanked as a child and I turned out fine. I was not beat though. Beating a child is not right.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 4:13 am

I hate beating a child. Even my parents never strike me. However they used to speak in high volume as an abuse. But never beat me.

I think beating a child is not a right solution.

Postby Love » August 7th, 2012, 5:17 pm

MikePryor wrote:I think that some spanking is necessary in situations where talking, raising your voice, time outs, and other punishments are ineffective. I do not believe in brutally beating a child or striking a child out of anger, but a spanking may prove necessary to keep some children in line. I'd rather give my child a spanking than let the world spank them!

I agree with this completely. I was spanked as a kid and I felt very loved because of that. There's just something about parents correcting you that makes you feel safe and protected.

That's just how I saw it at my early age. I came from a very loving family, and after a spanking I would receive a very thoughtful letter from my father explaining everything; why I was spanked, and the lesson he'd want me to learn from it.
I kept all those letters, and now that my father's passed away I had those letters framed because they touch my heart. It's a good reminder of the bond and love that I experienced growing up.

To spank a child is never to hurt the child. You spank a child to correct the child, because you love the child.

However, now that I am a parent myself, I never spank my kids. ;) It's ironic that I don't practice what I preach, but I've never found enough reason to. I am blessed with a very obedient and responsible girl, so I also agree that sometimes spanking is unnecessary.

Postby timajdad » September 5th, 2012, 3:03 pm

The law does not state that you can't spank your kids, it states you can't abuse your child. Abuse is spanking a child with anything other than a open plam, across the bottom, thru there clothes and you can't leave welps. I do bleive "if you spare the rod, you spoil the child", with saing that I have spanked my two kids ages 7 and 8 proably twice in there life. The hope is that parents discipline ther kids so no one else has to.

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk