Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

How many kids is too many to have?

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

How many kids is too many to have?

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:13 pm

When do you get to the point where you know you just have too many kids? My brother and his wife already have six but they want more. I think it's ridiculous and its made them the butt of many jokes(mostly within the family).

Re: How many kids is too many to have?

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:08 am

A couple has had too many kids when they cannot devote enough time to them or when they cannot support them monetarily. For some couples, one is too many, while others may be able to have a dozen or more. It all depends on the parents and their situation.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:10 am

Sure. I understand that. My brother and his wife hit their limit after one(together). They haven't paid any attention to their older ones in years and now that they've had a few babies they've ignoring the older babies. Really sad.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 5:43 pm

It is sad that they are not giving their older children any attention. In an ideal household (at least in my opinion), all of the children would get the attention that they need. Younger children would get more since they are not as independent as older ones, but the older ones would not be neglected. The older children may also be able to help with taking care of the younger ones.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:29 pm

I think that if you can afford them have them. I am from a large family and love it. I see nothing wrong with having as many children as you want as long as you can afford them.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 7:15 am

I think two children is enough to have a happy and good family. One son and one daughter is an ideal equation for the family.

Postby timajdad » September 5th, 2012, 3:17 pm

My wife and I have two, We wish we could have had two more, so they could have brothers and sisters. plus these two look just like twins, and I would have loved to know what two more would have looked like.

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk