Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Would you turn a family member into CPS?

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

Would you turn a family member into CPS?

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:32 pm

So my brother and his wife drink a lot, mostly my brother. He is the true definitely of an alcoholic. He is also the biggest jerk you will ever meet. He directs his anger toward his kids. It's mostly emotional abuse but there are hard "spanks"(if you can call it that) every now and then. I want to turn him in, we don't get along anyway, but unfortunately he is still family.

What would you do?

Re: Would you turn a family member into CPS?

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 4:13 am

I would be inclined to turn them in, but in some cases, CPS might be worse for the kids if they are sent away to a foster home or end up with a worse family. Being separated from their biological parents may also take an emotional toll on them. I don't speak from experience, and couldn't even dream of going through something like that. I feel sorry for those kids!

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Touchy subject. Maybe you just need to tell him that if he does not stop his ways, you will turn him in. I had to do that once to a family member and he is scared now to do anything to the children for fear that he will slip up.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 4:20 am

HI Jerlene...

I am very sorry about your family.

You can take your brother and his wife to alcoholic removal clinic where they can learn about how to get rid with habit of drink alcohol.

Postby timajdad » September 5th, 2012, 3:33 pm

What would you do? Hers's six year old kid getting mentally and physically abused, everyday by it's bio-mom who smokes crack, drinks, drag the kid around town canning for drugs. kid never eats a nutritional meat, under complete vrebal abuse all day everyday, barely goes to school, and this kid was your cusin, what would you do?

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk