Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Coping with the death of a pet.

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

Coping with the death of a pet.

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:38 pm

How do you tell your kid that his beloved pet has just died? Do you tell them the truth or do you tell them about that fake farm?

Re: Coping with the death of a pet.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:48 pm

I would be inclined to tell them the truth, but it depends on their age. It may be a good way to teach older kids about death, but a toddler might not be able to handle the truth. I never had pets growing up though, so I cannot speak from experience.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:31 pm

You need to tell them the truth. You should not sugar coat it or tell them that they ran away. You need to be honest with your children.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 4:14 am

I will go for truth.
I will try to understand my baby about death and life.
It is important to get feeling.

Postby timajdad » September 6th, 2012, 3:24 pm

odds are our kids will lose a number of pets by age ten, so the best thing to do is explain'

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk