Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Lying.

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

Lying.

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 10:40 pm

How do you deal with lying?

I have nieces and nephews who range in age from 7 months to 16 years. They all still lie. I usually just call them out on it or ignore it. How do you deal with it?

Re: Lying.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:12 am

I think that lying needs to be nipped in the bud immediately. It can lead to bigger problems down the road, and thus, should not be tolerated. I would call them out on it and issue some type of punishment, such as revoking a privilege.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:15 am

The younger ones don't really have things that can be taken away where a point would be made. I mean they have television and the ability to go outside and play, but that's it.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:20 am

I think that you can still send a message to the younger children by taking away their TV privilege. (You might still want to let them go outside for exercise). Maybe push them to do extra chores, or put them in time out?

I'm not a parent, so I don't speak from experience here; just brainstorming.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:36 pm

I can not stand lying and let the children know it will not be tolerated. If I catch them lying to me, I call them out on it and make them pay the consequence of lying.

Postby timajdad » September 2nd, 2012, 9:20 pm

It's funny how lying leads to cheating and stealing, it seems they go hand and hand. lying absolutely has to be addressed immediately and discipline in some form has to happen. Find out what's their most favorite thing is and take it, they have to know that lying will not be accepted.

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk