Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Beware of "healthy" yogurts!

A big part of family life is eating and dining. Whether you want to talk about healthy eating habits, share recipes or talk about favorite restaurants, anything to do with eating, dining or cooking goes here.

Beware of "healthy" yogurts!

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 12:22 am

There are a lot of yogurt brands that like to claim that they are healthy when in fact they are not. Make sure to read the labels on them because yogurts like Dannon and Yoplait are not as healthy as they appear. Stick to yogurts such as Stoneyfield Farm, Organic Valley(pretty much anything organic is good for you), Brown Cow and Wallaby Organic.

Re: Beware of "healthy" yogurts!

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:17 am

Thank you for the tips. I've started eating Greek yogurt as of late to increase my protein intake. I buy the store brand, but it's pretty good and looks healthy as far as nutrition facts are concerned.

Are there any specific things that we should look out for?

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:33 am

Always read the labels, the ingredients. Check how much fat, trans fat, sugar, calories, etc. there are. Too many is too much for your body.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 4:10 am

I always make sure to check the macro-nutrients. I'll have to do more research on which ingredients should not be present in yogurt. The brand that I eat now is non-fat and delicious, but it might still have some unsafe chemicals in it!

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:40 pm

These are great tips. I always assumed that all yogurts were pretty healthy. I guess I will have to keep this in mind on my next trip to the store.

Postby michael_dans2 » August 6th, 2012, 9:12 am

Absolutely, these tips are much of use and will help me too, next time. Its better to have a healthy yogurt even if it is a brand. However, we have to rely on some brands for a better option.

Postby timajdad » September 6th, 2012, 4:19 pm

My wife reads all labels, that why we don't eat any meats that has been MSM.

Site Admin
Marital Status: Married
Children: 2

Postby Scott » October 6th, 2012, 12:07 am

I find most of the yogurts have loads of unnatural ingredients and sweeteners. I get natural, fat-free greek yogurt. I like the short ingredients list! :)

Unfortunately, I find yogurt is expensive. It might be great for a diet if you are trying to lose weight, but I do not get it regularly because of the cost and the fact that I need to eat a lot just to maintain my weight.

Postby cyrahaz » October 3rd, 2014, 5:47 am

Healthful to our body.

Return to The Kitchen - Food, Eating, Recipes