Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Three year old can't talk.

From ages roughly 1 until 3, the toddler years are a time of great cognitive, emotional and social development. Chat about it and get and share advice about it here.

Three year old can't talk.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 2:38 am

My mom owns a child care and I help her. Her first kid was a one year old who couldn't talk. Not too bad. That's not abnormal. We had him till her was three and he still couldn't talk. When I say he can't talk I mean he can't say ANY words. He just mumbles and makes random noises. He doesn't even try. If you try to teach him to say a word he'll either walk away or cry and throw a tantrum.

Anyone have experience with this? Any solutions to the talking?

Re: Three year old can't talk.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm

I do not have experience with this, but it could be a sign of autism. Your mother may want to suggest to have him checked to see if he is on the autism spectrum.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:20 pm

It is unusual for a 3 year old not to talk. I would suggest having the child checked out just to be sure that nothing was wrong with him.

Site Admin
Marital Status: Married
Children: 2

Postby Scott » October 6th, 2012, 12:02 am

It is unusual for a 3-year-old not to talk. But are you sure the reason the child is not talking isn't just that he is shy? Some children talk a lot at home with their parents but might clam up around other people.

Return to Toddlers (1-3)