Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc.

Use this forum for age-specific talk for early childhood through preadolescence. This is a very fun, playful age. But it can also be a time when parenting can have hard-to-pinpoint long-term effects whether through something huge like the effects of divorce or something daily like watching too much TV.

Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Would you tell your kids that Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and other mythical characters exist? If you do, when would you tell them that they are make believe? If not, how will you deal with other children getting presents from Santa, etc.?

Re: Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:25 pm

When my children ask if they are not real, I will ask them what they think. My children believe in them right now and that is fine that they do. Children grow up too fast these days and there is no reason why they can not believe in them.

Re: Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc.

Postby Love » August 7th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Currently, my 10-year-old daughter still believes in them (or she's making me think she does). :)
Santa Claus is a family tradition, my daughter always has a stocking/sock hung up which we fill with various presents every day until Christmastime. She wakes up everyday before Christmas and finds something different inside her stocking. We do this for 15 days prior to Christmas and there is no doubt in her mind that Santa Claus exists. She sometimes leaves notes inside her stocking to let Santa know what she wants. Sometimes she would have drawings too, I suppose to give Santa some visual clue? ;) It's very cute and genuine, and these little things make me happy.

I want to protect her innocence so she can enjoy the bliss of it for a much longer time, thus resulting to a more wholesome and ideal childhood. The happy memories we create will be priceless. They don't need to be lavish presents, just little surprises! We sometimes give her knick-knacks, a dollar, a candy bar, anything she finds inside her stocking delights her.

When my brother and I were kids, my parents did the same for us. The only thing I would have wanted to change was that I wish they didn't reveal the truth to me sooner because I really loved believing in Santa. I loved feeling special, and having something to get excited about. I felt that Santa loved me, and I would actually pray to him to thank him for all the presents he'd send me. I would defend him to my neighbors because they'd tell me he wasn't real. :lol:

Frankly, I think the bigger question is: As a parent, how do you deal with other children telling your kids that Santa and the Tooth Fairy are not real? This is one of my biggest pet peeves, I sometimes feel like some parents are being very selfish and inconsiderate for not educating their children not to spread that kind of revelation to other kids. :|
But then again, kids will be kids.

Return to Young Children and Preteens (4-12)