Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Children sleeping with parents.

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

Children sleeping with parents.

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Now I only have nieces and nephews, no kids myself, but I see my nieces and nephews sleeping with their parents for years. When do you think they should move into a bed or crib of their own?

Re: Children sleeping with parents.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:07 am

In my opinion, kids should stop sleeping with their parents by age five. In some cultures, however, kids can sleep with their parents until they reach puberty!

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:08 am

Age five? To me that is WAY too old. I would never let my child sleep in my bed till five. That would slow his development and strain my marriage. Maybe from age 5 months to age 6 months or something.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I do not believe in letting your child sleep with you. A child should have their own bed, and not be allowed in the parents bed at all.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 4:08 am

I like to sleep with my 8 months old baby.
It gives me lots of pleasure and also a feel about parent.

However I will provide a new room when she will be around 8-10 years old.

Postby timajdad » September 6th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Kids should always have their ouw beds, ours did, but our kids was in and out of our bed until three. and I was the one to suffer, kids feet in your side and butt in your face, I slep on a patty on the floor and slep like a baby.

Site Admin
Marital Status: Married
Children: 2

Postby Scott » October 4th, 2012, 5:01 pm

There are arguments for both sides. It's similar to the debate between letting infants cry it out as a way to teach them self-soothing or always pick them up and comfort them when they cry to avoid the emotional scars and trauma. I say to each his own, unless credible scientific studies can show agreeable negative results of one parenting style over the other, which is unlikely because what constitutes negative is the main area of disagreements which is out of the scope of science or objective fact.

For what it is worth, my children sleep in their own room, in their own beds/cribs since they were a few months old. Even as newborns, they mainly slept in a crib/bassinet in our room. But we have a sleepover every now and then, but even then I usually end up carefully carrying the sleeping child into his own room before morning.

Postby cyrahaz » October 3rd, 2014, 5:42 am

A positive family values.

Postby Anna61 » October 19th, 2014, 5:22 pm

With many parents working full time, sharing a bed has become a way of multi-tasking. I can understand why parents would want to share a bed with their children as a way to connect. This only works as long as the kids and the parents get the sleep they need, and as long as both parents agree. I also feel that parents have the right to sleep on their own without feeling guilty. Kids are quite capable of sleeping on their own especially if they receive lots of attention and affection during the day.

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk