Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

How to handle hitting.

Use this forum for age-specific talk for early childhood through preadolescence. This is a very fun, playful age. But it can also be a time when parenting can have hard-to-pinpoint long-term effects whether through something huge like the effects of divorce or something daily like watching too much TV.

How to handle hitting.

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:43 pm

My five year old nephew has a fascination with hitting. He likes to hit every he passes and right in the gut. He isn't shy either, he'll blast you. Telling him to stop or even yelling at him to stop doesn't work. How would you deal with this problem?

Re: How to handle hitting.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:10 pm

I would suggest giving him a light spanking to see how he likes it, but you said that you are against spanking in another one of your posts. It may actually be the only effective action since talking and yelling don't work.

Re: How to handle hitting.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:25 pm

My rule is if you hit you sit. I make my children sit in think time for one minute per year of age.

Return to Young Children and Preteens (4-12)