Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Teens and the internet.

Hidden behind that big, pimply, hormonal adolescent is our little baby. Discuss anything about adolescence and raising teenagers here. Or if you are a teenager, talk about being one and dealing with those darn parents.

Teens and the internet.

Postby Jerlene » August 4th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Do you put parental control on your computer? Do you allow your children to go on sites like Facebook without any monitoring?

Re: Teens and the internet.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:03 am

I was allowed to surf the Internet without parental locks and without too much supervision. If and when I become a parent, I will probably limit the amount of time that my teenager(s) spend on the Internet aside from school or work-related use. I would install parental locks or monitoring software until they are 16, then they can surf freely. Of course, anything adult, illegal, or dangerous in nature would lead to Internet privileges being revoked.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:06 am

I have been using the internet unsupervised since I was ten or so. Of course times were different back then. The world is a crazy place and the internet is even worse.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 3:26 am

I am in the same boat with you, Jerlene. The Internet has become crazier, but at the same time more commercial than it was in the 1990s.

I am happy that I was able to use the Internet, and it has been a very useful tool throughout my life. I would want my children to have access to it due to the educational and monetary opportunities that can be found online. I do want my children to know how to use "traditional" methods of research as well, and of course I don't want them to run into the online crazies. I will also make sure to push my children to play outside more than I did growing up.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 3:48 am

Education and finance would probably be the only reasons I let them online. haha Well not really but they will spend a great deal of their allotted online time doing research mostly. Social networking is just a no no.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 4:07 am

I would let them play games from time to time, but social networking would be forbidden. I'd want to limit their time playing games too, unless they are learning how to make them!

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:30 pm

My children are not old enough to go on facebook or social networks. But when they do get old enough, they will be monitored to make sure things are ok.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 7:29 am

My niece used my PC for surfing internet. Once a time, I found her on a dating website. I also found that she has numbers of friend on social networking websites.
I think it is very difficult to put parental control on computer.

Postby Swart » September 16th, 2017, 4:37 am

Any teen with unrestricted internet access is going to end up looking at adult stuff at some point.

Return to Teenagers (13-19)