Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Playing outside alone.

Use this forum for age-specific talk for early childhood through preadolescence. This is a very fun, playful age. But it can also be a time when parenting can have hard-to-pinpoint long-term effects whether through something huge like the effects of divorce or something daily like watching too much TV.

Playing outside alone.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 2:52 am

Would you let your five year old child play outside alone?

I have a five year old nephew who has been playing outside on his own, no supervision, since he was two. I don't like it but his parents thinks it's okay because there is a fence(that they never lock and he knows how to open).

If not 5 then when is a good age to let your kids play outside on their own?

Re: Playing outside alone.

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 4:03 am

I wouldn't want my child playing outside alone until they are at least nine years old. I wouldn't want them playing outside without adult supervision until they are six years old.

Re: Playing outside alone.

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 7:24 pm

No way. Not acceptable. A 5 year old could run away or someone could kidnap them. I just do not want my child outside unless I am out there with him or her.

Return to Young Children and Preteens (4-12)