Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

How do you get your kids to see you as an authority figure?

Use this forum to discuss anything having to do with family life and parenting or anything of particular interest to parents that does not fall in any of the other categories.

Postby Jerlene » August 5th, 2012, 2:55 am

I am more of a friend than an aunt so the kids don't really take me seriously. How do I change this?

Re: How do you get your kids to see you as an authority figu

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Let them know that when they are with you, that you are in charge. Do not let things slide by, and use some discipline with them and then they will see you as an authority figure.

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 4:09 am

Try to use some discipline while working with children. It is good to have well behavior with children.

Postby timajdad » September 6th, 2012, 3:44 pm

A little tough love never hurt, i have to play bad cop, because my wife is good cop. when the time comes, you might have to play bad cop.

Site Admin
Marital Status: Married
Children: 2

Postby Scott » October 4th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I don't feel that I need to be feared like a drill Sargent if my kids respect me and the advice I can give them. What's the difference between a friend and an authority figure really? I am more likely to listen to the advice of a good friend then some crazy guy I dislike screaming orders at me.

With that said, there may come times when kids test you and you have to pull rank so to speak. I think keeping your authority comes from not crying wolf. If you yell at the kids, give them orders and big punishments frequently every day, I bet they stop taking it to heart. By picking your battles and only putting your foot down when you really mean it, I think your kids -- anyone really -- learns to appreciate it.

Postby NicRob » October 23rd, 2012, 2:48 am

Stop playing games with them. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Meanwhile, try to take one on one time to spend with them. Get to know your kids and see what's going on in their world. It may bring insight into how you can get more respect from them.

Return to The Living Room - General Family Life Talk