Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

Children overhearing or walking in

Parents aren't just child-care-bots! Whether you are a single parent getting back on the dating scene looking for support or a long-married couple looking for great date ideas or whatever, anything to do with the relationships of Mommies and Daddies can be talked about here.

Children overhearing or walking in

Postby MikePryor » August 5th, 2012, 4:47 pm

How would you deal with your children overhearing you or walking in on you and your partner making love? I would be a bit embarrassed and wouldn't know what to tell them. It would be a very awkward moment indeed.

Re: Children overhearing or walking in

Postby angie828 » August 5th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Yes that would be awkward. I have never had this happen to me or my husband so it is hard to say what I would say to them.

Postby Love » August 7th, 2012, 7:04 pm

I would never allow for that to happen to my child. Their needs must always be more important than ours, we must always think of them first. It doesn't mean to let your marriage dry up or anything as melodramatic as that, I just strongly feel that parents should be utterly precautious and careful, as well as unselfish, when they're about to indulge in sexual acts.

Though it is love-making, and it is not a crime, it would look very confusing for a kid at a tender age, and that is robbing your child of the innocence that he/she would have otherwise enjoyed longer had you been more responsible.

But no one is perfect, and sometimes we as parents make mistakes, so I'd like to share a simple trick that could boost up your chances at never getting caught in such an awkward situation with your child (and never having to live with the guilt of being such a careless parent), and the trick is to: Lock your door.

Make it a habit, as long as your kids are within the vicinity, always lock your doors before proceeding.

It's not that hard, and that's so little of an effort in exchange for your child's protection. Always put them first.

Postby timajdad » September 6th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Not good, don't forget the mother-n-law creeping around, not good.

Site Admin
Marital Status: Married
Children: 2

Postby Scott » October 5th, 2012, 11:26 pm

I think it would lessen the blow if the child sees the parents being affectionate on a regular basis anyway. I mean kissing, hugging, cuddling, dancing. Shielding a child from that kind of affection is not healthy in my opinion.

Certainly it helps to take some precautions such as locking the door or saving it for when the kids aren't around. That is good advice, IMO. Nonetheless, if a young child walks in on it, they probably will not understand it enough to be bothered. It would be awkward with an older child, but not scarring or so terribly awkward if the child has been talked to about the birds and the bees and the child is comfortable with his parents showing more normal PDA, again like kissing, hugging, cuddling, dancing.

Return to The Bedroom - Relationships and Sex