Register

Welcome to the Parenting and Family Forums! This is a fun and informative website for parents by parents. If you are not already a member, please join for free now! It's quick, easy and free! Once you have registered and logged in, you can post replies in the current topics as well as start your own.

How To Overcome Shyness

Hidden behind that big, pimply, hormonal adolescent is our little baby. Discuss anything about adolescence and raising teenagers here. Or if you are a teenager, talk about being one and dealing with those darn parents.

How To Overcome Shyness

Postby khulbe » August 6th, 2012, 4:33 am

Hi friends…
Son of my brother is very shy. He never meets with anyone. He remains in his room whole day.
How to overcome with shyness?
Any suggestions?

Re: How To Overcome Shyness

Postby Love » August 7th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Perhaps you should have shared the age of your brother's son? :)
That way we could give advice appropriate for his age. Regardless, I will provide you with a few parenting tips that I hope you'll find useful:

• For toddlers, the best way to rid them of shyness is exposure. Place them in an environment plenty of other kids their age, encourage them to play and interact. Sometimes, it could get tricky (because children this young sometimes don't like sharing toys), but it can be done. Once they realize how much fun it is to play with others, they'll forget their shyness and start becoming forward - gaining confidence as they grow. It is also a bonus if your child has plenty of cousins and a big family that gets together often.

• For kids aging around 8-12, I think parents should now pretty much back off 50% when it comes to their child's social skills, and instead concentrate on developing the child's confidence. This can be done by making sure your child excels at something. You develop their talents, you get them into sports that they love, you enroll them in ballet or piano class or whatever it is that sparks their interest. Be there 100% to mold them into a better human being. This is practically the make or break stage.

• For teenagers, well this is the phase when I think the superficial becomes important. I'm talking about clothes, shoes, iPhones, iPods, cars. These things, believe it or not (silly, I know!) helps boost a teenager's confidence at levels you would not expect. As long as he has the best of these things, he won't have too much trouble fitting in. ;)
    The good news for parents who are not that well-off and are unable to provide such luxurious items, is that your child will most likely grow out of this anti-social phase after school, when he finally has a job and finds his own place in this world. That shy kid will one day break out of his shell.

Re: How To Overcome Shyness

Postby cyrahaz » October 3rd, 2014, 5:48 am

Be socially active in the community.

Return to Teenagers (13-19)